If the library does not have the book you are looking for, and there are no other copies in the Saskatchewan public library system, you may request a copy through our Interlibrary Loans service.
How to request an item?
- Click here to be taken to the online Interlibrary Loan request form.
- At the Information Desk at the library you can ask a staff member to fill out the green Interlibrary Loans slip.
- Or send an email by filling out the Contact Us form with the Subject heading “ILL Request” Please include your name, library card number, the title of the book, ISBN, author, publisher, publication year, and edition if applicable.
Who can use the Interlibrary Loan Service?
- All residents of Saskatchewan who hold a valid library card. We will be unable to place an Interlibrary Loan request if your card has expired or if you have charges on your card of $10.01 or more.
How much does it cost?
- The Interlibrary Loan service is free but there are charges if the item is overdue, damaged or lost. This amount is set by the lending library.
How long does it take?
- Many items come within four to six weeks. However, unusual items may take several months to find. Each request is filled as soon as available material is located. We search first within Saskatchewan, then within Canada. Interlibrary Loan Services might not be able to obtain books from outside Canada.
How will I be notified when my Interlibrary Loan materials arrive?
- We will phone you at the number you have on your profile, or we will email you if you have provided an email address on the online form. We will contact you when the item arrives, or if the item is unavailable.
What cannot be requested through Interlibrary Loan?
- Items owned by the SILS consortium
- Entire magazines or newspapers
- Books on CD
- Computer software or games
- Rare books and reference books are not usually loaned to us or, if loaned, must be used in the library.
What if I only need a few pages from a book, newspaper, or magazine?
- If you require only a few pages from a specialized work, microfilm, magazine, or newspaper, we can order a photocopy of those pages for you.You may submit your request by emailing [email protected] (Subject heading “ILL Request”) or by calling us at 306-763-8496, or coming to the Information Desk at the Main Branch.
How long is the loan period, and can I renew my Interlibrary Loan material?
- The loan period is 21 days. In many cases the lending library will allow renewals, but not always. Please be sure to call the library and ask for a renewal before the item is due back. We will need to contact the Interlibrary Loans Centre, who then needs to contact the lending library to ask for a renewal. This process can take a couple days, so make sure to call in advance.
Pick-up and return locations for Interlibrary Loans material?
- You may pick up your Interlibrary Loan material at any Saskatchewan public library. Please return the item to the library you picked it up at.